Labor Day weekend was great! I
didn’t mention it in the last post, but on Saturday, Suzanna and I got a
babysitter and went to Mor Furniture in Portland to see what their selection
was like. We’ve been wanting to furnish our living room for a while, and with a
few home renovation plans in the works, we decided some new family room
furniture would be nice, too. The couches we’ve had in our family room are only
about five and a half years old, but that time has included Luke and Logan as
babies, toddlers, and now BIG boys. They’ve done quite a number on the
loveseat, jumping up and down enough times to ruin the springs and tear through
the material. Lots of lovely stains as well!
![]() |
| Leather sectional, coming soon to a family room near you! Well, at least near "us"! |
![]() |
| Smaller than the first one we bought. Glad Costco has a great return policy! |
Of course, no family room is
complete without some other “essentials.” We actually purchased a larger one on
Saturday, but we took it back because when we got it home and out of the box,
it was just too massive. I think this option will be much more manageable, not
to mention quite a bit cheaper!
I snapped this photo on the way back across the Columbia River from Portland into Vancouver. We truly do live in a beautiful part of the world!
![]() |
| I love this view we get every time we drive across the river into Washington |
With Labor Day over, it was time for
school to begin! We signed Logan up for the same preschool (Mill Plain United
Methodist Preschool) that Luke has done the past two years. Overall, we’ve had
a fairly positive experience. Logan was excited to go, and we were excited for
him. He’s a pretty smart kid, but he’s going to be one of the youngest in his
class, since he’s got an August birthday. It means that Luke and Logan, while
about 22 months apart in age, will only be one year apart in school. Mixed
feelings, for sure, but I think Logan will handle it well and do just fine.
![]() |
| Logan going to Pre-K! |
Logan is super cute and has been changing so much lately. It startles me to look at pictures of him from when we first moved into our house in Vancouver and I realize that he was just a baby! He wasn’t even quite two yet. Really close to Emmelise’s current age. I remember thinking that it would be really strange for Logan (at that time) to be a 3- or 4-year old like Luke was and be talking a lot and doing big boy things. I think maybe Logan’s milestones don’t get noticed as much because we’ve already been through those milestones with Luke. But when I do stop and think about it, it really is noticeable and fun to see his changes. He says so many funny and sweet things to us!
![]() |
| Holding up his sign |
![]() |
| Luke looking genuinely excited for his first day! |
![]() |
| Luke and Suzanna. Time to send the big boy off! |
![]() |
| I had to get in on the first-day-of-school picture action! |
![]() |
| Off they go to the first day of public education! |
Between Luke and Logan waking up
between 6:30-7:00 and school starting at 9:15, I don’t think we’ll ever have
much of a problem with getting to school on time. Sending Luke off on his first
day was fun, though it left me a tiny bit anxious. All day I was wondering what
he was doing at that moment and how he was reacting to the various situations
and “firsts” he was encountering.
When Suzanna dropped him off (they chose to walk the first day instead of taking the bus), he insisted that he ride the bus home after school. Well, because he didn’t ride the bus in the morning, they didn’t know that he was supposed to be on his correct bus for the ride home. When we went out to the stop and saw his bus pull up, there was no Luke! The bus driver said he never got on the bus!
We called the school, but they said there weren’t any kids left there. We were a little nervous but sure that this must happen frequently enough that they know how to handle it well. Turns out, they had put him on a bus that goes near our neighborhood, thinking maybe that was the right bus for him. Eventually the bus with Luke made an extra “stop” at Luke’s normal bus stop location, and off he came. He didn’t look worried or concerned, and he just acted all matter-of-fact about his first bus ride experience! They’ve got a pretty good system to keep track of kids, especially Kindergarteners, so I’m not too concerned about his future bus riding experiences.
![]() |
| I don't know where my brothers are! |
With Logan’s and Luke’s first days
of school over, it was time for their first (fall) soccer practice! We had
signed Logan up for soccer months ago when Luke had his spring season, but
because of the broken collar bone, he had to sit that one out. Fortunately,
he’s enrolled now and excited to play! He did a great job in today’s practice!
I was impressed at his ability to dribble the ball and stay focused. I think he
might really enjoy this season!
![]() |
| Logan and Luke passing the ball before practice. |
![]() |
| Logan with his "red snakes" jersey. Somebody needs to get that boy's eyes checked for color blindness! |
After soccer practice, we made a
quick stop for dinner at Wendy’s and headed home to finish packing some stuff
up for another fun weekend at the Lenzes’ beach house on the Oregon coast in
Lincoln City! We worked it out so that Sara and the girls would come with us on
Thursday night, and David would join us on Friday after a work meeting. The
reason we decided to go was because the weather was supposed to be downright
HOT on Friday!
The drive was mostly uneventful,
despite some crying kids. Fortunately we got them all to bed relatively quickly
once we arrived. Friday did not disappoint! I sat upstairs in one of the
bedrooms, away from most of the noise and action, working on a big work project
that’s been taking my time for the last month or so. But it was pretty peaceful
and relaxing to look up at any point and see this out the window.
![]() |
| Look at those colors! #nofilter or whatever. |
The weather was indeed hot! I
decided at one point to go sit on the patio overlooking the ocean with my
laptop to do a little work. Besides it being blindingly bright, it was
uncomfortably hot! I think the heat may have been record setting for early
September because the temperatures were in the 90s! I only stayed outside for a
few minutes before having to go back inside with slightly scorched feet.
Suzanna, Sara, and the kids went out
and played on the beach for a while. I was the designated “babysitter,” but
really I just listened for when the sleeping babies would wake up, and then I
would tell the ladies so they could come and fetch the children. They had a
great time outside playing in the sand for a couple hours.
After David arrived, we took a kite
outside and flew it for a while before running bare-chested into the ocean!
Despite it being a really warm day, the water was shockingly cold! I only went
all the way under a couple times, and that was sufficient for me! I had wanted
to do it at least once, but decided quickly to get back out before going completely
numb!
Once the kids were in bed, David made us this tasty warmed Apple cider drink with whipped cream and a salted caramel sauce drizzled over the top. Maybe not the best thing to have a hot drink after such a hot day, but it sure was a special treat!
![]() |
| A tasty apple cider creation by David! |
On Saturday morning, we all headed
out together and went down the beach a mile or so to where the seals gather and
play. It was a much cooler morning, the sky was grey, and the fog hung low over
the water. Though cold, it had a fun feel to it. Now would have been a great
time for the hot drink!
![]() |
| David sort of photo bombed this picture; if that's even possible since he's the one taking the photo! |
![]() |
| A cold and foggy morning at the beach! Still loving it! |
We watched the seals and fishermen for a while before heading back to the house. David had to head back to Portland for a wedding that afternoon, but the rest of us stayed back at the beach and hung out. I got a chance now to go out and play on the beach with the kids while Suzanna and Sara went to get a pedicure. We played in the run-off water from the city that was running into the ocean. It’s much more tolerable there, and it’s quite shallow, so it makes for a great play area that’s safe and away from crashing waves.
![]() |
| Luke making a sand castle |
![]() |
| Emmie and Katelyn enjoying the beach |
![]() |
| I could watch the surf roll in all day. Oh wait. I did! |
![]() |
| Location, location, location! Talk about prime real estate! |
![]() |
| Knuckleheads, watching a movie on the beanbags. |
I could totally get used to life at
the beach! After we came inside and got cleaned up, I put a show on for the
kids and excitedly put on the BYU-Texas football game! It was a much hyped game
since Texas is a perennial powerhouse and had the game vs. BYU circled on their
calendar after the dominating BYU victory last year. I was a little nervous as
it got started and BYU’s drives kept stalling. It was 6-0 at halftime, and
David was now on his way back. I told him I’d give him scoring updates
throughout since he wasn’t there to see it in person. What followed at the
beginning of the third quarter was a flurry of scoring update texts to David:
6:33 p.m.: Opening drive of second
half. Touchdown BYU! Taysom Hill rushes in from like 25 yards out and literally
hurdles over a defender to score! BYU 13-0!
6:44 p.m.: Second BYU drive of
second half resulting in another rushing touchdown! BYU 20-0!
6:54 p.m..: Third BYU drive
resulting in a second Taysom Hill touchdown! BYU 27-0!
7:01 p.m.: Unreal! Fourth drive
results in a third TH TD! BYU 34-0!
BYU handily won, and if it wasn’t for a late third quarter touchdown by Texas, it would have been the first time Texas had been shut out at home since like 1976. Great game for sure!
![]() |
| MVP! Play of the game! |
It’s been a lot of fun staying overnight at the beach
house because it gives us “adults” time to be together without the kids once
they’re asleep. We played games, talked and
laughed a lot and watched a movie as well. We’re glad to be close with
the Lenzes, as it seems like couple friends are hard to come by.
Sunday at the beach house included
church for most of us (Suzanna stayed back at the house because poor Emmie had
been falling apart and desperately needed to sleep!). We did a pretty good job
of planning this time and were able to be cleaned up and out of the house in
good time. But to help things along, David and I took the kids to the park for
a while as Suzanna and Sara finished things up.
Luke was so exhausted that he fell
asleep on the way over. I didn’t have the heart to wake him, so I left him in
the car sleeping, with the hatchback door open so he could stay nice and cool
and so that I’d be able to see him from the nearby park.
![]() |
| Devils Lake. I think. |
This picture is out of order, but as
we were packing up to leave, David claimed to have seen a whale breach the
water and splash back down. We all rushed to the windows to watch, and sure
enough, a couple minutes later we saw it again! It was pretty cool to see a
whale so close! I snapped this photo of the others intently watching out the
window for another sighting of the whale.
![]() |
| Watching for whales! |
![]() |
| Lenzes, Logan and Emmie |
![]() |
| Logan and Emmie on the giant play structure. |
![]() |
| Better wake him up before we have to leave! |
![]() |
| Mark and David |
It was a great week all around!
msh




























No comments:
Post a Comment