Thursday, October 16, 2008

One more day...

What an exhausting two days! Last night before going to bed after our long day of labor, delivery, and welcoming Luke into the world, I remembered that I had an interview scheduled for this morning (Thursday morning) with a potential employer on campus, so at 7:00 this morning I got up to leave the hospital and go get cleaned up and shaved. After the interview, I had to go to work to get some things done, so I was away from Suzanna and Luke for most of the day until about 6:00 tonight. I did stop by during the lunch hour to visit and while here, I took Luke to the nursery to have the PKU and bilirubin tests done. The poor little guy didn't like getting his heal poked, but he did really well! Right when I got here tonight our pediatrician had just come back and wanted to do the circumcision. Wow... that was a much bigger ordeal than a simple heal poke. He did really well though, and I wanted to go and be with him. I hate the thought of either Luke or Suzanna having to be alone for any sort of uncomfortable or painful procedure. While watching Suzanna in labor yesterday I was getting so distraught seeing her in so much pain that I wanted to leave for a minute but I decided I needed to stay with her for support. So I did, and now tonight I stayed with Luke for his little procedure. The good little boy is doing well and sleeping soundly (I hope!) in the nursery.

Here are some more pictures from last night and today. Enjoy our experience with us!
This is the first picture we actually got of the three of us together!

Look how long the little guy is!

Mom and Dad after another long day!

He's definitely a treat... not a trick.

We like to wrap him up like a little burrito.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

You'll be so glad to have these days documented. The newborn stage of life is so special and sweet and so different from any other.

What a supportive husband and father you are!

Shannon said...

Awww, precious!

Jess said...

You did awesome Suzanna! Way to go! Congrats to all three of you!

Saralyn said...

We were both there for Tanner's circumcision because they did it when he was 3 weeks old because of all of his problems. It was so hard!! He screamed bloody murder the whole time and for about an hour straight afterwards. The doctor said the anesthesia must not have worked well. Yikes! He also had to have his heel poked every feeding during those 5 days he was in the NICU. Not fun! I'm glad you only had to watch it being done once.

He is a beautiful baby, if you don't mind me using that word.

Mark said...

Oh, that sounds so sad, Sara! I had such a hard time watching Suzanna go through so much. And then to see baby Luke go through some painful things really hurt me, too. But I kept thinking to myself, "I've got to be the strong one. I've got to support them and at least be there to show I love them." Thank heavens for modern miracles and advances in health care and medicine.