Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Destroyer


Luke is crawling. Does that explain the title? About a month ago we were in Utah and Luke was showing off how he could scoot backwards. I was sure it would be that way for at least a couple months, but within a few days of being home that all changed. He first started with doing pushups, which quickly evolved into rocking back and forth on his hands and knees. Then he was flopping forward and began to sort of 'swim' across the floor. I thought that it would be quite awhile before he ever learned to crawl normally and there was always that possibility that he would never crawl normal. But he fooled us and within a week he was crawling like a pro and pulling himself up onto EVERYTHING.

He loves to stand and climb onto anything he can find a way onto or into. His favorite spots for climbing have been the VCR box, the fireplace, the dishwasher and the shelf on his changing table. As for standing, anything or anyone will do. Yesterday, he figured out how to get back into a sitting position from crawling or standing. He has also learned to cruise and if I'm not paying attention he'll cruise on down the pew to introduce himself to all of the families on our row or the row behind us. He is a very social baby to say the least.

When we are out and about he is always catching the eye of the other shoppers and gives them charming smiles and talks to them. Everyone gets so excited and feels privileged that a baby 'likes them.' I just smile and reassure them in their thinking without letting them know that Luke isn't too particular about who he does or doesn't like. In general Luke is a very happy and easy going baby. He is good everywhere we go and I can only hope that the rest of his siblings will be the same.
The greatest thing Luke learned this last month was to sleep 11-12 hours at night! It is so amazing! Some nights he sleeps up to 14 hours and he often goes to bed before 7. So, that makes for some nice evenings. Luke has also grown 2 teeth on the bottom and he loves to chew on things. I often wonder if I am raising a little boy or a puppy. There are quite a few similarities between the two.
Luke hit the 25 pound mark and wears 24 month clothing. He has certainly become quite a burden to carry around for too long, but he just keeps growing in weight and height so quickly. Everyday he amazes me with the things he figures out or understands. I can't believe he is already 8 months old. Life just goes too fast.
Luke always puts his left leg up on his knee when he's just hanging out on the floor
Well, other than our excitement with Luke's advancements there aren't too many exciting things going on with us. Things are going well for Mark at work and he is learning more and more each day about what an actuary really does. I am still working from home and trying to find new things for Luke and I to do during the day so we are not bored. Mark and I are speaking on Sunday and so we are working on our talks. Yipee! Last weekend we went to a rodeo and it was a lot of fun! I think we'll make it a tradition. Next week we are going to Utah for the 4th of July and I will be staying there with Luke until the 25th. Unfortunately, Mark will be heading back to hot Texas on the 7th.

Speaking of heat, it is way too hot here! It has been over 100 degrees the last few days and there is no relief in sight until sometime next week. I'm glad we'll be in Utah to at least avoid the humidity.

I think that's it. I have a bunch of pictures so look at the sidebar for the slideshow. If you click on the slideshow you should get connected to our picasa webpage. Hope everyone is doing well!

4 comments:

Jess said...

so so cute, I can't believe how much he's changed! What a darlin'!

Mollie said...

Oh Suzanna he totally has your eyes!! And what lovely eyes they are. Glad things are going well and that you are getting a break from the heat while you're in Utah. Love you!!

Eevi said...

He is such a big boy!!! Way to go with the sleeping and crawling. I would love to meet this little cutie in person.

Jess said...

we really really miss you too, it was so fun having Luke, so close to Jack's age... but I hope you're just loving life, and can visit ASAP!