You see, actuarial exams, both studying for and worrying about results, more or less have occupied my 'free time' and brain power since I graduated from college in 2009. As of last month (when I attended the Fellowship Admission Course in Virginia), I'm now completely done with exams (!!!), so I'm free to spend time on hobbies, projects, fun experiences, etc.
I'll post about my 30x30 list another time, but one of the items was to write in my journal every week. By that, I really intend to document our happenings, and this blog is a great way to do that. So without further ado, here's my first weekly journal entry:
Monday, July 21, 2014
Suzanna and Mom took the kids to the Curiosity museum today while I was working. At one point, my phone alerted me that I had received a text message. I looked at my phone and laughed when I saw this really cute picture of Luke dressed like a pirate, swinging his sword and saying, "Arrrr!"
![]() |
| Luke, the pirate |
A couple minutes later, I received another photo of Logan, also dressed as a pirate with a sword, but with a very pleasant look on his face and a hook for a hand. I had a good chuckle!
![]() |
| Logan, the cheerful pirate |
The third I received was this picture of Emmie, in the "baby" water table. I haven't ever seen something like this before, but I was intrigued by the idea! She seemed to be having a good time, and I was so glad the kids got to spend a couple hours exploring and having fun with Suzanna and Mom.
![]() |
| Emmie at the water table |
![]() |
| Logan and Luke, having a good time at Fat Cats! |
![]() |
| Logan intently watching his ball travel down the lane |
![]() |
| Final scorecard. Jeff had the overall high score! |
My 29th birthday! Another very full and fun day! I took the day off and, at precisely 8:26 a.m, I took this "usie" (selfie, but with all of "us" instead of just me) with Suzanna and the boys. Emmie slept in a bit, so no baby girl in this shot.
![]() |
| At 8:26 a.m., my birth minute! |
We took plenty of rests and I even gave a few piggyback rides, but we made it and had a great time! Luke and Suzanna even ran a little on the way back down! We all had sore muscles later that day (at least Suzanna and I did!), but we were so glad we did it and then had a really tasty french toast and pancake breakfast at Kneader's.
A few pictures from the hike:
![]() |
| Logan taking a little break on the way down. |
![]() |
| Nothing says Happy Birthday like a balloon and cupcakes! |
![]() |
| Yum! |
![]() |
| My three favorite girls! Mom, wife and daughter! |
We headed out to the airport after dinner as well, but we had to stop at Exit 279 near Lehi Main street because our rear tire on the driver's side burst! I should have taken a photo, out there on the side of the freeway in the hot afternoon sun on my birthday, jacking the van up while cars and trucks speed by just a few feet away! It was a little scary, but we got it done quickly and still made it in time to welcome Elder Ogden with the rest of the family!
![]() |
| Welcome Home Elder Ogden! |
![]() |
| The family awaits! |
![]() |
| Emmie and Logan were having a great time playing on the luggage carousel |
![]() |
| Elder Ogden getting mauled by his two nephews |
Once we finally arrived at the Stake Center back in Provo, President Warner told Elder Ogden that he couldn't release him from his mission, but rather that his mission would continue in a different, post-Russia transfer, where his focus should now be turned toward getting a great education, finding good work, and getting married so he could begin his most important missionary assignment: that is, teaching his children and raising them up in a righteous home. It was a great reminder to me about my responsibilities and my continual "mission" that I'm engaged in every day. Elder Ogden taught us about developing Christlike attributes and shared a heartfelt and humble testimony. The evening left us with a warm assurance from the Spirit. It was a wonderful experience.
Despite having been over 24 hours since he began his journey home, Steven happily played with Luke back at the Ogden house for a while. His name tag and missionary clothes were still on as he and Luke played with some stuffed dogs. It was really cute to see them playing, as Luke welcomed Steven home so warmly and Steven gave Luke the attention he wanted.
![]() |
| Luke and Steven playing with the stuffed dogs |
It was a great birthday! Memorable for sure!
Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Not much to report about this day. Suzanna and I did go for a 6.6-mile run/ride tonight up past University Mall and down by the shops on University Parkway near 500 West. We had this great view of Squaw Peak, so I had to take a photo:
![]() |
| Squaw Peak in the evening |
Pioneer Day (in Utah) saw us back in Lindon, celebrating with pizza, swimming and a great firework show! Ever since Utah legalized aerials, firework shows in Utah have gone to the next level! I'm sure people spend a LOT of money on these fireworks, but they are great fun to watch! Steven came swimming with us after pizza, and Logan and Emmie really wanted him to play and swim with them.
Lots of Suzanna's cousins and relatives were there, with their loads of fireworks, ready to light them up and start a show when the sun went down!
![]() |
| Emmie sitting on a blanket, ready for the show! |
I took another day off work today, this time to go with the kids up to Discovery Gateway in Salt Lake, where we first took a stop off at the Clark Planetarium and watched a cool show on the ceiling of the dome theater, where we got to watch a 3D-like movie without the glasses! We hung out there and at Discovery Gateway for a while, enjoying watching the kids play and explore.
![]() |
| Suzanna and the kids in front of Discovery Gateway |
This cool sign greeted me at her door. She's so creative!
![]() |
| Welcome to the Sinner Sanctum: Enter at your own risk! |
![]() |
| Risk! An actuary's favorite game! |
Saturday, July 26, 2014
David and I played a round of golf at the Executive course at East Bay this morning. It reminded me that I ought to get into golfing sometime! It's fun! I wasn't too great, but it sure felt good to hit a ball and send it sailing up into the sky and toward the hole.
The highlight of today was our trip tonight to Salt Lake to see Wicked with Mom, Jeff, Shauna and Ashly! Suzanna and I saw it in Portland a couple years ago and totally loved it, so when we found out it was going to be in Utah while we were there, we decided we should go. After a very tasty Indian dinner at Kohinoor in Orem, we cruised up and parked across the street from the Capitol Theatre with plenty of time to spare. The doors hadn't even opened yet, and while we were waiting, we bumped into Laurie and her Meacham in-laws! Small world! Turns out they were up there going to see Wicked as well!
![]() |
| Capitol Theatre |
![]() |
| Our group of Wicked goers! |
Steven spoke in church today and gave a great exhortation to all in attendance to be diligent and thoughtful home and visiting teachers. He told us he wanted to take us all in a firm grip, look us in the eyes, and tell us that we need to take these responsibilities seriously. I thought at one point he was going to say something like "and speak with enough fire to singe your eyebrows!" a la Elder Holland!
We enjoyed a nice afternoon and evening, hanging around the Ogdens' with family and friends and then had a tasty steak dinner at Mom's with Laurie and her family. Good times and good memories!
![]() |
| My pretty wife, with a ring around her neck |
msh
P.S. I'm not sure every weekly journal will have so much detail! Phew, tiring!






























No comments:
Post a Comment