Thursday, August 21, 2008

"Simply the bestest"? I don't think so...

After many frustrating weeks (and months) of looking for a decent apartment, Suzanna and I decided to sign a contract with Courtside Apartments on 1200 West in Orem. We'd looked at them before and knew they had a few vacancies for August, but the steep rent held us back from signing immediately. Once we realized we weren't going to find anything "better" for the price, we agreed to just sign a contract at Courtside and end our miserable search for a new place. With baby Holdaway on the way, we wanted to find a place sufficiently large to fit us all comfortably (ie: 2 bedrooms) without paying an outrageous amount of money for rent. Oh well...

One perk, however, of moving into Courtside was the free Internet and Cable service offered through our lovely friends at Mstar.

This is apparently a big selling point for Courtside. "Hey! Come live here! You can have free high-speed Internet and Cable for free!" Well, our Internet has been working fine, and I must admit, it is better than we've had before (dang wireless). However, the cable was another story. To make a terribly long story short, we spent probably three hours waiting on hold and talking to Mstar service people on three or four different days until they could finally figure out that they needed to send a technician to come and replace a tiny little plug. Ooooh, it was frustrating! And once we finally got the thing fixed, I found out that "free cable" really means, "local channels which you could get with a regular antenna!" No national stations which we like watching, like USA, Food network, Style, ESPN, MSNBC, CNN, etc.

Anyway, on Dad's birthday last year Suzanna and I were driving through the Macey's parking lot on our way to meet everybody at Chuck-A-Rama when Juan Pablo, an Mstar technician, drove through his stop sign and hit the front bumper of my Honda, breaking the license plate bracket off and leaving a nice scrape on the front of my car. I got his information and his manager's information so I could figure out how they were going to pay for the repairs. I ended up fixing the bracket (thanks to duct tape) and covering up the scratch myself because his manager never followed through on his end.

"Simply the bestest?" Maybe their poor grammar should tell me something about the company 'cause I don't think Mstar is all that great.

7 comments:

Natalie said...

I worked with Mstar for over a year and could tell you that they aren't the most organized people around. Good luck!

Mollie said...

How far north/south are you in Orem? I'm guessing you probably aren't north of Center Street, but if you are.... you should check out the married student ward (our old one). The most excellent bishop you will ever meet. And LOTS of new babies!!

Danielle and Trenton said...

Just out of curiosity how much do you pay a month?

Mark said...

Uhh... Six Seventy-Five. How's that? We have to pay for gas and electricity as well.

Jack said...

I'm sorry you've missed so much of the Olympics. And I would do something rash about the false advertising of "free cable". That is so not cool. But we're glad you live closer to us now.

Molly said...

we need belly pictures, people.

Holdinator said...

Huh. So "free" cable doesn't exist. Good to know.