Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Best Ten Minutes!

Today was a really busy day. And by the end of work/school, we still had to pack for our upcoming trip to Disneyland. Luke kind of dragged his feet a little bit (but he's only four years old; should I blame him?) and got distracted easily, and the whole packing thing just took longer than I expected. Because we have to get up pretty early tomorrow to catch our 7:20 a.m. flight, I wanted to get in bed as early as possible, and I wasn't very happy or excited when Luke was begging me to go to the park before going to bed. It was already after 6:00 p.m., and I knew that if we weren't fast about things, it would be 8:00 before I knew it and Luke would have a very bad start to the vacation by not getting enough sleep.

Well, I got a little upset when he was persisting about wanting to go to the park (in his defense, I had told him that we could do another bike ride together if we finished packing early enough). But I gave in and told him that we could go to the park on one condition: that we spend no more than 10 minutes at the park itself. He agreed, and it was only moments later when we were climbing onto our bikes, helmets on our heads, ready to go.

When we got to the park, instead of immediately parking our bikes, we decided to ride on the sidewalk that goes all the way around the park. I was impressed with Luke's ability to go up the steep hill there, and he didn't complain much. Once we parked, I set the timer on my phone for ten minutes and we got playing. We started by playing on one of those little spinning pedestal things that make you totally sick, but after only about a minute, we moved to the big play structure and started playing tag with another boy who looked to be a year or two older than Luke. For the next eight and a half minutes, we ran, jumped, climbed, and tagged each other all over and around that play structure. I had so much fun! It was really the best ten minutes I've had in a long time!

When the timer went off, Luke quickly got his helmet back on and off we went toward home. I fed him a little dinner and got him in bed at a still decent time. I was really glad I took those ten minutes to just play and not worry about what time it was or needing to pack. I felt like we had a really good moment there tonight.

Ready. Set. Go!

Another bike ride with Luke!
Luke and me at the park, ready to head home
Oh, and we also made a new take on the s'more tonight: we replaced the regular milk chocolate Hershey's bar with a Cookies'n'creme bar. It turned out to be really tasty! I think Luke especially liked it because he's a vanilla kind of guy.

Cookies'n'creme s'more
msh

No comments: