Thursday, August 29, 2013

Allergic? Yeah, to everything!

So as it turns out, I am allergic to a lot of things! I went to an allergy clinic near our home here a few months ago during hayfever season hoping for a quick fix. When I got there, I was disappointed to find out that they don't give these great Kenalog steroid injections anymore. Instead, they told me about immunotherapy, which is a series of allergy shots over months and even years, where each injection consists of the allergens to which my body reacts badly. But before I could start the shots, I had to be tested. Once the allergy testing session was over, I found out that I am allergic to cats, dogs, dust mites, and every type of tree, grass, and weed they test for! In all, I was allergic to 26 of the 40 allergens they tested!

This week on Monday, I went for an all day rush treatment, where they administered the allergens beginning at a very light dose and periodically increasing the dose throughout the day. At the end of the day, I had received six doses of each allergen. Because I'm allergic to so many things, they had to split the allergens up over three vials. That means that each time I go in for shots, I get three at a time. Ouch!

I went back today for my first post-rush shots. I'll continue to go one or two times per week as they increase the dose to the maintenance level. Here are some pictures from Monday.

Location of the allergy clinic, a place I will spend a lot of time in the coming months
Exhibit A: right arm with sites marked for injections
Exhibit B: left arm and six more injection sites
Ready for the next injections
I got a little company at lunch time! Suzanna brought these guys by to visit for a little while.

msh

No comments: